Two youth were taken into custody Wednesday at École Charleswood School after a threatening video was posted online, an official with Pembina Trails School Division said.
Police were called to the upper-elementary and junior high school after a fight threat was posted on social media and a video circulated.
Pembina Trails School Division Superintendent Ted Fransen said the 10-second video showed two youth making threats and showing what appeared to be either a pellet or BB gun. The video was made earlier this month, Fransen said.
“It is what appears to be student bravado. It was, ‘Hey look at us. We’ve got a gun. You dissed us’,” said Fransen.
One of the youths shown in the video is a student at École Charleswood School, and the other is from a neigbouring school, Fransen said.
After watching the video, the school contacted their school resource officer, who arrived and determined that there was no immediate threat, the school said in a news release. There was never any weapon on site, they said.
Both youths were taken into custody as they were coming into the school. Fransen did not know why the youth who was not a student at the school was coming in.
Police said no charges have yet been laid.
The school did not go into lockdown, but students were advised to clear the hallways and remain in their classrooms during the lunch hour while the youths were taken into custody.
“I’m told by the principal that there were some students that believed there was a weapon at the school, but there never was,” Fransen said.
The school said announcements were made to inform the students that they were safe. The school counsellor visited classrooms Wednesday afternoon to inform the students about what happened.
“We have an excellent student safety protocol that is reinforced by the involvement of our school resource officer,” Fransen said.
Fransen could not confirm the ages of the students, only pointing out that École Charleswood School runs from Grades 5 to 9, and the neighbouring school runs from Grades 7 to 9.